Sunday, March 11, 2012

Manteo Mitchell Wins Gold

Mitchell captures
Gold Medal
Manteo Mitchell and the United States' 4x400-meter relay team win the Indoor World Championships with a time of 3:03.94 in Istanbul, Turkey Sunday afternoon.

“This is a great honor for Manteo [Mitchell] and Team USA,” said WCU Head Coach Danny Williamson. “It is also great for Western Carolina University and our program as Manteo has remained here at WCU and is loyal to this university and our program.”

“I am now a world champion,” said Mitchell. “I thank God for this amazing season thus far. I love my family and friends for the continued support that I have received. I’d also like to thank my coach, Danny Williamson, for making me the athlete and man that I am today.”

While at WCU, Mitchell was a 32-time all-Southern Conference performer, and was named the SoCon Most Valuable Track Performer four times. Mitchell holds the WCU record in the 200-meter (20.73) and the 400-meter (46.00).

No comments: