Thursday, August 9, 2012

Manteo Mitchell's heartbreaking run

Manteo Mitchell ran the first leg of today's 4x400 heat for the U.S.  He completed his run, and the U.S. tied for first place going into Friday's medal round.   However, Manteo will not be running in that race after injuring his ankle half way through his run.

Mitchell posted this on facebook "“Sad news, for those who don’t already know, I suffered a broken tibia bone in my left leg at the 200m mark of my 400 leg in the relay,” Mitchell wrote. “I still split 45 running with a broken leg so I thank God for allowing me to have enough courage and strength to finish for my team and my country. I could have easily given up, but for the RED WHITE & BLUE I WAS WILLING TO DO ANYTHING TO WIN! “This has been an amazing season, and I am sad that it is coming to an end in this fashion. I wish my teammates the best as they continue to compete! This setback will only make me even more hungry for next season, so until that time comes ... #FaithFocusFinish.”

Max Siegel, the CEO of USATF, called Manteo "an inspiration and a hero for his teammates. Without his courage and determination to finish, Team USA would not be at the starting line in the final. The team has rallied around him and we are all looking forward to the final days of competition."

The U.S. team won't announce a 4x400 lineup until Friday morning, the likely replacement for Mitchell is Angelo Taylor, a two-time 400 hurdles Olympic champ.

No comments: