Monday, August 13, 2012

Coach Speir comments on Saturday's scrimmage

Head Football Coach Mark Speir
Cullowhee, NC - Head Football Coach Mark Speir's comments after Saturday's scrimmage. 

"I liked the intensity; we got 140 plays in today and that is a big day," said first-year head coach Mark Speir. "I thought we were in great shape. I didn't see a lot of fatigue and that is important. Coach (Jeff) Pitman and his staff have done a very good job with conditioning and we are pretty good as far as our physical condition.

"Offensively, I thought we did some great things, but we just killed ourselves with penalties and mistakes. On defense, I thought we flew around today. I thought we hit people; we didn't give up many big plays and that is always a really big goal for us. Kicking was really good; our field goal kickers went out and did a really nice job, didn't miss an attempt. I'm really proud of those guys."

"Overall, I think we're on track. We've just got to clean it up. I keep beating a dead horse, but it's all about consistency, consistency, consistency. With that, we have a chance to be a very good football team," added Speir.

No comments: