Saturday, August 18, 2012

Coach Spears talks about Preseason Fall Camp

On the preseason....

"It didn't start here today or with this camp; this started with our off-season weights and the 5:00 am running. But, overall, I think it's been a productive preseason," said Head Coach Mark Speir. "Our whole deal was to change the mindset, change the culture. And I think our staff has done a great job of setting the foundation. What that'll relay in wins and losses, I have no idea. But what I do know is I am as proud as I can be of these young men. They've been through a brutal preseason. I told the guys to be proud of themselves."

"I've been a part of a lot of championship teams and a lot of good football teams, and this has been a tougher preseason by design. They stepped up to the challenge. I think we've got a great foundation; (the game on) August 30 is just the beginning of the transformation of this football program".

On Saturday's practice.....

"I thought we came out today with a lot of intensity and I felt like both sides did some really nice things. They were both upbeat; the offense had a good tempo and the defense was flying around. There were a lot of really good licks hit today," said Coach Speir following the scrimmage..... "we've still got the overriding theme of penalties. We've got to get those cleaned up and once we do, I think we've got the chance to be a really solid football team."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To hear that the team is upbeat is important considering the past regime.