Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Ask the AD - Randy Eaton


Courtesy Catamountsports.com




Director of Athletics Randy Eaton






August 14, 2012

As we prepare to embark on the upcoming fall calendar of events, I wanted to take a few minutes and answer a handful of questions that have been sent in over the past month:

Q:  I heard a rumor from a North Dakota State fan that WCU would be traveling to Fargo for a game in 2013. Given your previous statements about possible games with Southland members, I am guessing NDSU is footing the bill, correct? 

A:  We are in fact currently scheduled to play North Dakota State in 2013. The contract was already in place when I was hired, so as of now we will be honoring that agreement. Although I typically will not publically discuss game contracts, I will share with you that this trip should cost us little more than a normal in-conference road trip. However, I will also say that it is not a home and home agreement and one I would have never agreed to in the first place.

Q:  I think FCS teams are allowed to play 12 games in 2013. Will Western play 12, and if so, who would be our non-conference opponents? 

A:  Well, the previous question already told you that North Dakota State is one. We are also contracted with an ACC opponent and I am still working on another possible contest. In addition to 2013, FCS teams will be allowed to play 12 games in 2014 and 2019 as well.

Q:  I have heard the band is traveling to the Alabama game. Is this true, if so I think it is awesome! What are the chances of the band traveling to more of the away games? 

A:  I too have heard the rumors of the band traveling to Alabama, but to the best of my knowledge that is NOT true. As far as that game and others, I too would love to have the band in the stands to help support our team. However, until such time that I and my staff can increase revenues to the point of being able to adequately fund our teams, I will not be in a position to assist the band in covering travel costs associated with away games.

That’s it for now. I want to go on record and thank everyone who has shown interest in our program and our student-athletes. Be it from asking questions, to coming to our off-campus events, being a season ticket holder or a donor, I want to thank you for the past eight months. I also want to remind you that what we are doing takes time and support. If you do not have season football tickets, BUY THEM! If you are not a Catamount Club member, CONSIDER JOINING! Remember, it is EASY to sit back and criticize, it is quite another to become ACTIVELY INVOLVED and become a part of the solution!! Go Cats! Randy

No comments: