Sunday, April 15, 2012

Saturday's Spring Game

Cullowhee, NC - "We were excited to have the opportunity to come out here in front of a great crowd," said head coach Mark Speir after Saturday's Spring Football Game. "The team competed today and they had fun; they were excited about today's opportunity. That will leave the team with a good taste going into summer that they are working for something and that people care about them, and that is what this game is about. It is about relationships, caring about your teammates, about your university and about Western North Carolina. I thought it was a great day."

"I think we made great strides (this spring). I think we've got a long way to go and I make no bones about that, but I think we've got a foundation set. As a team, we've established what kind of work habits we want to have; what kind of tempo we are going to have. What kind of demands we are going to put on them and we've established what it takes to be a champion."

He added, "We are not looking ahead at winning this many games or that many games. But instead, we are looking at going out and playing hard every game. We're going to play until someone kicks us off the field and we can't play anymore. Rome wasn't built in a day, but I think we've got good foundation established. We are looking forward to our new class coming in, signees I think will add to what we have here and I'm excited for the fall. August 1st can't get here fast enough."

No comments: