Thursday, February 10, 2011

UTC-WCU game postponed after flu decimates team | timesfreepress.com

Western Carolina is showing the Mocs some love by agreeing to postpone Thursday's basketball game until Valentine's Day.

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga would have had only five healthy and eligible players tonight to compete against the Catamounts if the game was played as scheduled tonight.

"I appreciate Western Carolina and the SoCon, who always preach about 'student-welfare' and they walk the walk," UTC coach John Shulman said. "I guess we could have gone over there with five guys, but that wouldn't have been the best situation for anybody, especially us."

"I don't think that's good for the integrity of the game, I don't think that's good for the conference, and I don't think that's good sportsmanship," WCU athletics director Chip Smith told the Asheville Citizen-Times. "It's like, what do we need to do to make this work?"

"I appreciate the willingness of Western Carolina to work with us and they don't have to do that," Hart said. "I don't know how many schools would respond in the same way. This is going to place them in a different place, a difficult place, competitively. But I can't thank them enough."

They agreed the game should be played Monday after UTC visits App State on Saturday, even though it means WCU will now play five games in nine days.

Mocs get a sick day | Chattanooga Time

No comments: